12 Tips for Starting off Second Semester Right
After a month of winter break, it can be difficult to get back into the swing of school. Here are some helpful tips for getting back on the right foot!
1. Organize your school supplies. I like to have a color-coordinating folder and notebook for each class.
2. Get a planner. You can even color code it to match your folders and notebooks! These will truly help you feel organized this semester. Write down all of your deadlines and events to help you feel focused.
3. Keep a white board in your dorm room. I have one right next to my bed. Whenever you think of something that you need to do, just easily jot it down.
4. Pack a snack in your book bag. If you get hungry during the day, you can eat it between classes or even during class if your professor allows it. Just something little and easy to grab and go to keep you energized and focused throughout the day.
5. Use Netflix as a reward. It’s easy to come back from class and just pick up where you left off on your favorite show. Before you know it, you’ve watched ten episodes and your homework has sat untouched. Instead, try telling yourself, “If I finish this homework assignment, I can watch one episode.”
6. Plan your outfit the night before. This makes your morning go smoother and even allows you to sleep in a few extra minutes.
7. Designate “me time” every week. Classes and homework can get overwhelming, and it’s important to take some time for yourself. Meditate, paint your nails, watch a movie, go to the gym, or take a long shower. It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as it’s for you.
8. Try to eat well-balanced meals. It can be hard to do this in the cafeteria, but it’s good for your health and your brain. Try meal prep to help keep you organized, have your favorite meals, and feel healthy!
9. Take advantage of office hours. No question is a bad question! Professors are there to help. If you can’t make their regularly scheduled office hours, most professors do additional hours by appointment.
10. Join a club. If you’re not part of a club already, you can find a perfect match at Winter Club Fair! A club gives you an instant family and it’s something to look forward to after a long day of classes. Meet some friends with similar interests and find yourself a part of the team.
11. Keep your room clean. It can be hard to focus when you’re surrounded by a mess. An organized room helps you keep an organized mind. Try to clean up things as you go to prevent the mountain of clothes or dishes from piling up.
12. Sit in the front of the classroom. Sitting in the front gives you the best view of the board. You never have to crane your neck to see what the professor is writing. It’s also easier to stay focused when you’re in the front and your professor is guaranteed to know who you are.