The Global Connections for Women Foundation (GC4W) co-created the Entrepreneurship School for Girls Program (E-School for Girls) in collaboration with NYU CAC, NYCPromise and NYU.
The NYU College Advising Corps (NYU CAC) aims to increase the number of low-income, first-generation, underrepresented high school students to enter and complete their higher education. NYCPromise works with key NYC students at both middle and high school levels to provide new and exciting opportunities to further their education and take positions in the STEM fields.
With recent international programs and initiatives to support the education of young girls led by the First Lady of the United States (FLOTUS), Michelle Obama and USAID through the #LetGirlsLearn and #ReachHigher, through the E-School for Girls summer program, GC4W and our partners plans to provide high school juniors and seniors with a first class opportunity to advance their educational experience and to ultimately raise the number of women entrepreneurs in our society.
“Education is the key to success for so many kids. And my goal specifically is to reach out directly to young people and encourage them to take charge of their futures and complete an education beyond high school.” – First Lady Michelle Obama
With the E-School for Girls Summer Program – after a rigorous application process, 30 girls were selected to participate in a 2weeks summer program that runs from July 10th – July 24th, 2015 at the NYU campus. The E-School for Girls Summer Program hopes to provide the 30 girls from inner city schools with an opportunity to train and learn from founders and CEOs – and to inspire them with their stories. The girls will also be challenged to create their first business venture and provided with the tools to potentially launch their enterprise idea. A pitch event will be held on the last day of the summer program and the girls will be tasked with pitching their business ideas to a panel of judges.
What does the Entrepreneurship School for Girls Summer Program entail?
- Provide an opportunity to learn and experience what is like to run your own company
- Provide the underserved community with similar educational experiences as most affluent students
- Invest and Develop Entrepreneurial mindset in young girls
- Inspire the young girls to take a liking to STEM and Entrepreneurship professions
- Expose and Introduce young girls to role models who can speak on their personal journey
- Teach and develop skills in Entrepreneurship through an Action Learning Model
- Create an Experiential program that uses different types of training and media
- The Use of Technology will be used throughout the program
- Develop an understanding that STEM is a part of how/why we operate today and in the future
- Create a community of girls with similar interests who support each other
The Global Connections for Women Foundation is an international organization that believes in women and girls – and their rights to create new opportunities for themselves and their communities. Last summer (August 2014), GC4W co-sponsored 30 high school girls from rural parts of South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe to participate in a one week “STEM-IT Forward Expo” in Johannesburg, South Africa, a program created by Tanguana. Taungana aims to provide high school girls from rural and disadvantaged communities with world-class access and exposure to education and career options in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
The goal of the E-School for Girls Summer Program is to invest and expose the girls to the field of entrepreneurship – and inspire them to advance their education and to potentially pursue careers in this field.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or to participate as a speaker at the E-School for Girls Summer Program, please send us an email at email@example.com.