Joseph Lucido is a full time business strategy consultant who is passionate about working with different businesses, particularly in the fashion industry, to tackle the most pressing challenges that they are facing in today’s unpredictable business climate. In addition to his hectic work schedule Joseph is a menswear and travel influencer with a total social media following well over 275,000. Through his various platforms Joseph strives to share his lifestyle with other young professionals and bring the freshest and most impactful brands
The Art of the Side Hustle
We currently live in the most fast paced age of society in all of human history. Everywhere you look people are bustling about moving from one meeting, event, engagement, etc. to the next. It’s no surprise then that this age is also the age of the side hustle.
My name is Joseph Lucido and I am one of those people who has a side hustle going on besides my daily career. Full-time I am a business strategy consultant for a large firm that helps my clients to tackle their most pressing issues by creating dynamic strategies. On the side, I am a lifestyle, menswear, and travel influencer. I have over 189,000 followers on Instagram and a total social media following of around 275,000.Every way you turn someone has something else going on besides their actual job. Your friend who lives in East Village is a full time architect, yet somehow he is also a thriving photographer that has gigs booked every weekend. Your buddy that lives in Brooklyn and works at a start-up just so happens to paint during his evenings and will be holding an art exhibition next weekend. So you’re thinking to yourself, “Well if they have time to be doing more things, then I should have time too!” But if it’s so easy then why doesn’t everyone do it? That’s because there is a delicate art to the side hustle that needs to be understood if you are to succeed in it.
The thing about a side hustle is that people often don’t realize how much work actually goes into it and how long it takes to reach that point of success where a hobby can become a side hustle. Now a typical definition of a side hustle is as follows:
Any type of employment undertaken in addition to one’s full-time job. A side hustle is generally freelance or piecework in nature, providing a supplemental income. Side hustles are often activities a person is passionate about, rather day a typical day job worked in order to make ends meet.
So with that said, I have 5 pieces of information about how to start off your side hustle, as well as what it’s like to work full time and have a side hustle
- So you want a side hustle, huh? Well first things first, make sure it is something you’re passionate about and moderately good at. Also, make sure that there is a market for what you want your side hustle to be since ultimately you want to make additional income through this venture. You might be amazing at creating sculptures of dogs or something, but if they don’t have some sort of commercial viability then it isn’t really a successful side hustle and still more of a hobby.
- Dedicate the appropriate amount of time to your side hustle. You need to realize that it isn’t going to go from 0 to wildly successful overnight. You have to be patient and continue to build your business, whatever it may be. It took me around 1 ½ years of seriously blogging to get to the point I’m at today.
- Don’t forget that your main career has to maintain its importance in your life. You don’t want to be split between two things half heartedly. For me, I love my full-time job and I make sure when I’m at work I focus solely on that and do the best I can. Then in my off time I dedicate that to my side hustle. It is important to realize this balance and not let this side hustle aspect of your life detract from your main path, until the time when the side hustle becomes the main hustle.
- Use your weekends wisely! Usually everyone wants to relax, unwind, and have some fun when the weekend rolls around. BUT if you want your side hustle to really take off this is the ideal time to get a headstart and work on anything regarding your side hustle. For me, I often use my weekends to create content that I will then release during the week.
- Don’t give up if you’re really passionate about it! There are plenty of times where I got fed up with blogging or didn’t feel like my hard work was paying off. However, you have to keep pushing yourself and overcome these obstacles for the success to come.
Best of luck! And keep hustling!
Thanks so much for reading! Again, my name is Joseph Lucido and if you have any questions you want to ask me feel free to message me and reach out. My Instagram handle is joseph.lucido and my blog is TheLucidoLife.com.