Simple Tomato Soup
Recipe by barbara
This easy tomato soup is my go-to recipe. It’s simple and delicious, ready in 30 minutes, and I give leftovers to my kids for lunch. I usually serve it with rosemary bread for dunking.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Gather all ingredients.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook onion and garlic until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, sugar, celery seed, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and purée with an immersion blender. Reheat soup until warm and season with salt and pepper.
Use Italian San Marzano tomatoes for the best flavor.
This soup can be made vegan by substituting margarine or 2 tablespoons of olive oil for the butter.
If desired, you can add cream, but my family likes it the way it is.