SPAGHETTI AND BEETBALLS
Recipe Courtesy of Feasting at Home
Vegan Spaghetti and Beetballs! A beautiful twist on the comforting familiar classic. Beets, black beans, walnuts, and basil make these plant-based meatballs scrumptious and so satisfying. Top with an easy rustic tomato sauce for a meal the whole family will love!
Ingredients for Spaghetti and Beetballs
beetballs (makes 24)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium beet, chopped in roughly 1/2 inch chunks (5oz or roughly 1 cup full)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped in roughly 1/2 inch chunks ( 2 1/2 oz or roughly ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground psyllium (see notes)
- 1 cup or 3 oz walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup or 1 oz fresh basil leaves
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained
tomato sauce (makes 3 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons minced
- 1/8 –1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional (see notes)
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes and juices
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves torn
vegan cheesy sprinkle
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup hemp seed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, adjust to taste
16 ounces dry spaghetti, or linguini
Instructions for Spaghetti and Beetballs
Make the Beetballs
- Heat oven to 335 degrees.
- Toast raw walnuts for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a pan over medium heat, saute’ onion and garlic for about 10 minutes, until soft and lightly caramelized. Let cool a few minutes.
- In food processor, add cooled walnuts and basil leaves. Gently pulse, until the texture resembles coarse sand. Remove walnut mix from the processor and set aside.
- In the same food processor add the cooled caramelized onion/garlic mixture, raw beet chunks, raw carrot chunks, oregano, salt, pepper, tomato paste, Worcestershire, nutritional yeast and psyllium, pulse until mixture is just finely chopped- allowing for a bit of texture.
- Add black beans to the beet mix. Pulse 3-4 times.
- Then add the walnuts. Pulse a time or two. Just enough to incorporate everything. The mixture will be quite moist. Refrigerating for 30 minutes can help firm them up but is not necessary.
- Scoop onto a baking tray. Bake 40 minutes at 335. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the pan.
Set pasta to boil, cook according to package directions.
Make the Tomato Sauce
- Add olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Throw in minced garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring until lightly toasted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, smashing in with a fork to break them up. Add oregano and salt.
- Keep at a low simmer for 20 minutes, stirring and mashing the tomatoes every 4 minutes or so. The sauce will thicken as it cooks.
- Add fresh basil leaves a few minutes before removing from heat.
Make the “Cheesy” Sprinkle
- In food processor pulse together walnuts, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Toast in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until you start to smell the toasty aroma. This sprinkle will keep for a few weeks. It freezes well.
Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce, top with a few beetballs and sprinkle with “cheesy sprinkle”.