Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard and Green Olives
Recipe Courtesy of The Modern Proper
Cooked in warm cream studded with chard and buttery green castelvetrano olives, this stunning baked egg recipe is an easy and luxurious way to enjoy brunch at home.
Ingredients For Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard and Green Olives
- 4 thick bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard leaves, stems removed, about 1 bunch
- 1/2 cup pitted castelvetrano olives, pitted, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp salted butter or olive oil
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 tsp flaky salt for finishing
- 2 Tbsp minced chives for garnishing
- 1 loaf of crusty bread, for serving
Method For Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard and Green Olives
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium sized ovenproof skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Still over medium heat, add the onions, cooking until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and swiss chard, continuing to cook until the chard begins to wilt about 2-3 more minutes. Return the cooked bacon to the pan along with the olives. Remove from heat.
- Create 4 wells in the chard mixture. This is where you will crack the eggs. Once all of the eggs are in the wells you created, drizzle the entire dish with the cream. Place the dish in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes. Just until the white parts of the eggs are no longer transparent, but the egg yolks are still runny.
- While the eggs are baking, melt the butter in a small skillet, over medium heat. Add the panko and toss to combine with the butter. Continue cooking and tossing until the panko is golden brown before removing from the heat.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and sprinkle the toasted panko over the entire dish. Sprinkle with the feta, extra olives (if desired), flaky salt and fresh chives.
- Serve alongside some good toasted bread.
Image Courtesy of The Modern Proper