Norwegian Risgrøt Rice Porridge
Recipe Courtesy of The Modern Proper
Risgrøt—a festive Norwegian rice pudding—is a heart-warming, soul-satisfying treat that is humble, almost too easy, and impossible not to love.
- 1 cup Long grain white rice
- 2 cups Water
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom, ground
- 6 cups Whole milk
- 2-4 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Berries (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the rice and water to a boil. Lower heat to a heavy simmer and, stirring occasionally until water has absorbed. This step usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, vanilla bean seeds or extract, and ground cardamom. Stir a few times to incorporate.
- Bring heat back up to medium (medium-low if you are using a gas range). Add milk 1/3 of a cup at a time. We recommend stirring constantly, which ensures you don’t scorch the milk. It takes about 5 minutes for each cup of milk to thicken and about 45 minutes in total to get all of the milk incorporated into the porridge.
- Once all of the milk is incorporated and there is no longer any liquid in the pot, spoon the porridge into 2-4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and put a 1 tablespoon sized dab of butter atop the cinnamon. Serve with fresh, frozen or dried fruit.