Chicken Parmesan Burgers
Recipe Courtesy of Taste of Home and Brooke Petras
A restaurant-quality chicken parmesan burger that’s topped with marinara and loaded with cheese—what’s not to love? Above all, fresh basil adds even more flavor. —Brooke Petras, Alpine, California
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- First, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Then, add onion; meanwhile, cook and stir until tender, for about 3 minutes, add garlic; meanwhile, cooking 1 minute longer. Additionally, remove from heat; finally, cool slightly.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup marinara sauce, chopped mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, seasonings and onion mixture. Then, add chicken; and mix lightly but thoroughly. Finally, with wet hands, shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Then, in the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Next, cook the burgers until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes on each side. Next, top the burger with sliced mozzarella cheese; finally, cook, covered, until cheese is melted, for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, serve in buns; finally, top with the remaining 1/2 cup marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese and, if desired, basil leaves.
Image Courtesy of Taste of Home