Six Ingredient Breakfast Quinoa
Recipe Courtesy of The Modern Proper
Vegan, high-protein and low-effort, this easy recipe for breakfast quinoa is everything we want breakfast to be. Top it with fresh berries and call the day kicked off!
Though we often talk about it as a whole grain, quinoa is actually a high-protein seed. It’s available in lots of colors—white, black, yellow and even red—and for this breakfast quinoa recipe you can use whatever color you like. Even a colorful blend! It’s super nutritious—yes, even more healthy than oatmeal. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but it’s a complete protein—if you’re vegan, you’re probably always on the look out for those!—meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. It’s also high in fiber, gluten-free and easy to digest. What a way to start the day, right?
Ingredients for Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups Coconut milk (or any other plant based milk)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Pure maple syrup
Directions for Breakfast Quinoa
- Using a fine mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes until most of the milk has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Stir in the cinnamon, salt, vanilla and maple syrup until fully combined.
- Serve with fresh fruit, toasted nuts or coconut flakes, cream, milk or extra syrup for added sweetness.
Image Courtesy of The Modern Proper