Peppercorn-Crusted Steak with Creamed Spinach
Recipe Courtesy of The Pioneer Woman
This steak dinner with a side of creamed spinach is like something you’d enjoy at a fancy restaurant.
Ingredients for Peppercorn-Crusted Steak with Creamed Spinach
1 stick salted butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves (2 finely chopped, 2 crushed)
2 12-ounce bags baby spinach
4 oz. cream cheese, cut into pieces1
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
Black pepper, to taste
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 c. tricolor peppercorns
1 tsp. sugar
1 tri-tip of sirloin steak (1 3/4 to 2 lb.), at room temperature
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 large rosemary sprigs
Directions for Peppercorn-Crusted Steak with Creamed Spinach
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach to the skillet in handfuls, stirring after each addition. Cook until all the spinach is wilted, about 12 minutes. Push the spinach to one side of the skillet. Add the cream cheese to the other side and smash it until mostly melted, about 2 minutes, then stir into the spinach. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, a few grinds of pepper and the nutmeg. Keep warm.
- Put the peppercorns and sugar in a resealable plastic bag and crush using a rolling pin or skillet. Season the steak with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, then coat both sides with the peppercorn mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Swirl the olive oil in the pan. Add the steak and cook until well browned and the internal temperature registers between 105 ̊ and 110 ̊ on an instant- read thermometer, about 6 minutes per side.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, the rosemary and crushed garlic to the skillet. Tilt the pan toward you and spoon the butter over the steak until the crust is burnished and the internal temperature is 115 ̊ for medium rare, about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and serve with the creamed spinach.