Rhubarb Oat Bars
Recipe Courtesy of Taste of Home
These chewy rhubarb bars provide just the right amount of tartness and sweetness. They are simply unbeatable! —Renette Cressey, Fort Mill, South Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Combine the cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, coconut, salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the oats mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spread with rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.