Croque Madame Toast
Recipe Courtesy of Spoon Fork Bacon and TERI LYN FISHER
A recipe for Croque Madame toast. Toasted bread smeared with mustard and topped with thinly sliced ham and creamy cheese with a mornay sauce and an egg!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 slices sourdough bread, lightly buttered and toasted
- 3 tablespoons whole grain prepared mustard
- 6 ounces smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 3 large egg yolks
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir over the heat for 2 to 3 minutes to cook off the raw flour taste. Add the milk in a steady stream while whisking, then continue to cook and whisk until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Whisk in the mustard, ginger, gruyere, and parmesan. Continue to cook and stir until the cheeses melt and the sauce is smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Spread whole grain mustard onto one side of the toast slices. Top slices of the toast with the ham.
- Transfer the ham-topped toasts to a baking sheet and top each with a 1/2 cup of the mornay sauce.
- Carefully create a well atop each toast, with the ham and mornay sauce and drop each yolk into each well.
- Broil the toasts until the sauce is hot and bubbling, but the yolk is still soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Image Courtesy of Spoon Fork Bacon